1. the word “one” is an infinite quantity. There is no such thing as “one more time.”
2.The whistle is the merciless god of your excistance.
3. judges are mean, cruel, heartless people (unless they give you sweepstakes)
4. you had lived your life up till this point not fully understanding the definition of “loud”
5. 7/8 time was a good idea, but it just doesn’t work.
6. playing the Hey Song double time and watching the cheerleaders try to keep up can be EXTREMELY amussing.
7. no matter how many times the football team loses, they will still insist that the band sucks.
8. mud sticks……to everything
9. after a while, teachers get used to you practicing during class on your pencil.
10. hair of any length can be put in a pony tail…given the proper amount of hair spray.
11. your plume is not alive, and it is not trying to eat you.
12. no matter how he tried, a trombone player can’t blame it on the reed.
13. double reed players should never eat sprinkle covered cookies before a concert. trust me.
14. cats can do everything. who knew?
15. guys can talk about video games for an entire bus ride without getting bored.
16. pot holes and horse poo that wasn’t there before will magically appear right in front of you during competition.
17. the front rank will always have one person who cannot march in a straight line if their life depended on it.
18. the center guide always has really long legs, or really short ones
19. foot ball games are really fun until you drop a lollipop down your saxophone and can’t get it out.
20. the copyright law does not really exist. copying music isn’t stealing, it is “borrowing”.
21. gloves attract dirt. it doesn’t matter how many times you bleach them, they will always be dirty.
22. Band wars are WAY more intense competition than the football game itself.
23. Band members know all the cheerleader’s cheers by heart and can do them 10 times better.
24. at some point during the year, someone will drop their instrument from the bleachers. this is fact of life.
25. you are better off not knowing what has gone on in the drum room.
26. Pomp and Circumstance is a form of cruel and unusual punishment and should be deemed unconstitutional.
27. guys should not wear tighty whities to band events. this will result in much mocking and in extreme cases, blindness in bystanders.
28. Throwing produce on buses gets you into more trouble than you’d expect.
29. Nothing is a secret in band. We know all.
30. fights between the band director and the drum major are slightly worse than WWII and just as noisy.
31. there will always be those few band members who continue to hang around the band and band events long after they have graduated.
32: How to carry around 20 music stands back up to the music department after rehearsal.
33: How to fit your bag, all your books, your P.E kit and you instrument into your locker at the one time.
34: How to look like you have put away all the chairs neede for the band when actually you have only put away one or two.
35: To be able to play your instrument without throwing it away after playing for 24 hours in the space of 2 and a half days.
36: How to learn to play 10 new pieces of music in 2 days.
37: How to learn to put out around 40 chairs in 5 mins.
38:What ever class you have after band, you will always be late to.
39:Old band directors WILL come back to haunt you down the line
40:you learn to chew gum,talk,eat candy,and play your instrument at the same time.
41:you will always and i mean always look really bad in band pictures
42:never play truth or dare on the bus!
43:how to change into your uniform in front of 70 other people in less than 2 minutes.
44:how to properly hang up your uniform in the dark.
45:how to hate every new song you come across only to find that you actually enjoy playing it.
46:trumpets get 98.5% of the solos.
47: Hand checks suck if you are sitting with your boyfriend or girlfriend and are half asleep.
48: Chaperones will be put in the back of the bus.
49: If you are sharing a seat with someone of the opposite sex and are on a 3 hour bus trip that left at 4am and both are asleep, people will comment on how cute you are together.
50: Drummers and trumpet players trying to learn colorguard routines is funny but scary
51:On bus rides, when everyone gets bored, they sing.
52:Senior guys and have this strange obession with sitting on each others laps
53: It is possible to play and dance at the same time during a halftime show.
54: It is possible for 20 people to change out of uniforms on a school bus at one time.
55: There will always be inside jokes that only band people will understand.
56: Band people will automatically roll their feet when walking down the hall.
57: If you are walking with other band members, you will be in step.
58: If you walk on the opposite football team’s side during 3rd quarter break with your uniform on, people will give you weird looks.
59:there are no such things as straight lines… unless you are supposed to be in a curve…
60:you WILL learn to hate the metrenome!!!
61. spin the bottle/truth or dare is much more interesting w/ band people.
62. parties are much more interesting w/ band people.
63. heck, LIFE is much more interesting with band people.
64. trombones are so far out there, the best thing to do is smile, nod, and don’t smoke anything they offer you.
65. to be early is to be on time, and to be on time is to be late.
66. to be late is to be DEAD!
67: In the stands, if the other band plays a song that your band knows, your band must immediately play the same song. There is no way you can let that other band think that they can play it better.
68:When going somewhere with the band you will atomatically have more parents than you can count. And NEVER try to argue with any of these parents because the really ticks the director off.
69: The bandroom is your second home. You will spend more time there than at your own home. And the band direstor is your 3rd parent, and has about as much say in your life as your real parents do.
70: PDA is accpetable…it doesn’t matter what the principal says b/c he will never visit the band room or band bus to know that it is happening.
71: It doesn’t matter what you look like at band events b/c the other bandites have prolly seen you at your worst and they like you anyway.
72:The freshmen will proceed to forget everything they’ve learned. Even when you correct them time and time again.
73:After time, you WILL be hit in the back with some sort of large percussion instrument. You can’t escape it, so don’t try.
74:Most of the trumpets have gone through geometry, but still don’t understand geometric concepts, such as lines.
75:When marching in the sun, put sunscreen on. Otherwise you will end up with a nice tan on one side and glow-in-the-dark white on the other.
76:When a rehersal is supposed to end at a specific time, add at least 15 minutes onto the end time.
77. and finally, i learned that band is soooo much fun, and i wouldn’t trade it for anything!